What if every school in America hosted a HOPE project?
We want Educators to grow a HOPE Garden to give their students a chance to learn life and job readiness skills.
STEP 1: Partner with a local Taziki's or restaurant
Gage interest from your local restaurant that sources local produces and herbs.
STEP 2: Conduct and initial meeting with the local restaurant operator and involved school staff
Have a meeting to make sure everyone is on the same page. In order to run a successful business, all parties must collaborate for the HOPE Project to work, because tending the herbs is an everyday business.
IF STUDENTS WITH DISABILITIES:
To include principal, SPED teacher, SPED Coordinator, Career tech teacher, Career tech Supervisor, SPED job coach, school book keeper, and Restaurant representative
IF AT AN AT-RISK SCHOOL
To include Principal, teacher interested in leading the program, Career tech teacher, Career Tech Supervisor, school book keeper, and restaurant representative
INITIAL MEETING TO DISCUSS
- Location of raised beds, greenhouse, etc.
- Set up a “Non-Public” fund (in Alabama)
STEP 3: Implementation
Whether you would be working with students with disabilities or at-risk students, take the time to decide how to teach students a business.
GARDENING MATERIALS NEEDED
- Tools to build
Partner with the Agriculture department to pair students with disabilities to the general education students to give them real-world social skills. The Agriculture Departments should have necessary gardening materials like shovels, picks, and other needed items.
There will not be much to tend to at first, just need to check on seedlings.
- All season herbs: rosemary, curly parsley, oregano
- Basil is year-round if it’s kept in a greenhouse or a classroom with lots of natural sunlight
Logistics for the following would need to be discussed:
- Which herbs the school will grow
- Which days the class will harvest and how they will communicate the delivery and amount for the restaurant.
- Have a teacher, parent, or volunteer that passes the store to deliver the herbs
- Taziki’s to supply with a Catering bag